Thursday, May 2, 2013

Henry Grew Raises Awareness of Cancer Research

Henry Grew students at last years Poetry Slam. 

America SCORES students from the Henry Grew Elementary School in Hyde Park have decided that their service learning project for this semester will raise support and awareness for cancer research. Their project, titled 'Wear to Show You Care', aims to raise money for cancer research through a variety of creative fundraisers.

The team plans to hold three separate fundraisers, a 'Hat Day', a 'Think Pink Day' and a 'Fitness Day', with the proceeds from all of these going towards cancer research. In mid-May the team hopes to hold a party to celebrate their success!


The Grew Cougars had an exciting match with Mattahunt. 

Two of the poet-athletes from Grew, Jamely and Jamal, also auditioned for the National Poetry Slam and did a phenomenal job. Read on below to see Jamal's excellent poem "My Future". Great job Grew!
Grew students Jamely and Jamal with their awards and certificates. 

My Future
By: Jamal
My future is being rich and famous
Intelligent and strong

Overcoming every obstacle that comes in my way
That makes me strong

Learning from others and my mistakes
That makes me intelligent

Now I’m as courageous as a lion

I’m as reliable as a caring dog

When I grow up I’ll be a scientist,
Upgrading the world with my discoveries

I’ll go to college
And get more knowledge

I’m as determined as a bull trying to
Rush at a red flag as fast as he can

I’m as reliable as a goldfish that you tell your secrets to

I’m as physically strong as a rhino
Testing his limits

My mind is as busy as the streets of New York

Sometimes my mind works as fast as you would drive on a highway

This is me- today!

No comments:

Post a Comment